An Musculoskeletal (MSK) appointment includes disorders which effect the bones, joint and muscles as well as including conditions which are rare such as immune system conditions.
They can be secondary to more complex conditions and can present as an acute pain in the bones/soft tissue or they can be more chronic aches such as osteoarthritis.
MSK disorders affect a large section of the population with foot and ankle pain affecting 20% of adults. Any age group can suffer from pain, however as we get older, we are more likely to struggle with pain.
At Angel Podiatry we believe that no-one should have to struggle with pain, and we aim to try our best to make you more comfortable. It can be debilitating not being able to enjoy simple daily activities due to pain. It can impact our social and work life. Here is some of the conditions we can help you with:
- Bunions (Hallux Valgus)
- Heel Pain (Plantar Fasciitis)
- Morton’s Neuroma
- Achilles tendinopathy
- Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Sports related foot, ankle and leg pain
When you come for your first appointment we will review your medical history as well as history of the injury to help as gain a full understanding of what could be contributing to the pain. You will be assessed after this in two parts:
- Static Assessment: This will include assessing you standing and in chair. We will be looking at your foot/leg/back position and complete some tests. We might want to assess your hip/knee so wearing shorts for your appointment is ideal.
- Dynamic Assessment: This will involve looking at you walking. If you are a runner, we will assess your running using our treadmill. This again allows as to understand how your body is moving.
From your assessment the podiatrist will determine which options might work best for you. This will be discussed with you and you can decide how best you would like to move forward. Treatments can include:
- Orthoses - if required a podiatrist will develop a prescription suited to your individual needs
- Footwear advice
- Manipulation and Mobilisation
- Fascial Manipulation - a manual therapy designed to release tension in the soft tissue
- Exercise prescription
- Injection Therapy
Once your diagnosis in made and you have discussed your treatment the podiatrist will discuss with you your treatment plan.